Sunday, May 24, 2009

The American

I have long felt that the best art, music, dance and film are political. I have looked to mavericks from Ben Franklin to Patty Smith and from John Cage to Jimmi Hendrix for infusing political creativity into my work. About 20 years ago, while learning to compose music and write songs, I drove cross-country with my then girlfriend (she was moving to LA to be the assistant editor on Dead Poets Society). It was a big trip for me so as I traveled I wrote down what I saw and thought. Back in Philadelphia, the birthplace of America, I turned my scribbling into a song I called The American.

By the fall of 1989 my interracial rock and roll band -- we looked like a united colors of Benetton ad -- was playing the song at local clubs and a few larger venues. For the most part people loved the song but a few times we were reminded by reactions that we were hitting a nerve. Like when our equipment van was slapped with "Race Mixers Must Die" stickers or the night that I was hit with rocks being hurled from a few of the 10,000 audience members at a concert.

Recently some friends suggested that I rerecord the song and make a video for You-tube. I believe the message of The American is just as relevant today as it was then. It is American to shake things up, point out injustices and question authority. That's what mavericks have been doing since the days of the Wild West. I'm proud of my small contribution to the political discourse at this time. I think everyone should see it. So help me spread the word in two ways:

Go to You-Tube at the link below. Be sure to post a comment since this generates more exposure, so tell me what you think. Then take a moment to rate it (the higher the better if you are so moved)

Finally send this e-mail to everyone in your address book.

Thank you so much for your support!

By the way the video is not lip Synched . Each square is a real time video recording of the performance your hearing. It is as If your seeing and hearing a live concert with me as every member of the band . I also edited and directed the music video. and it was created January 2008.
The American

I'm a Midwest farmer
doing the work of the lord
I'm a Pentagon general turning
plowshares in to swords
I'm a nuclear bomb where the bald eagle flies
I'm rain drops falling from a black and blue sky
I'm the blood of the children on the city streets at night
I'm a high school senior can't read the bill of rights
I am American

I'm a TV preacher
TV talk show host
KKK, Father, Son and Holy Ghost
I'm a New York rebel
In tight blue jeans
Needle Marks on my arms
And eyes like James Dean
I'm homeless on the sidewalk
Next door to the President
I'm a minimum-waged mother of three
Paying the White House rent

I am American!
I am American!

I am father knows best
With a red light whore
I'm the finger on the trigger
Of the cop at the door.
I'm telephone sex
I'm a one night stand
I'm the staple in the centerfold
Making love to my right hand.
Black waves in the ocean
Black clouds above the trees
I'm a skinny man dying
Of a four letter disease.

I am American!
American!

I'm the Indian And the buffalo
and the hole in the sky
a small town parade baseball And apple pie
I'm the first man on the moon and the gettos that burn
I'm Jay Leno and Howard Stern
I'm Martin and JFK God rest their souls
I'm Janis, Jimmy and Jim and the king of Rock n Roll.

I am American
American!
American!
I am American!
Born and bread in the USA
American!

I'm a burning cross
I'm a Catholic Jew
I'm a skin head punk
I'll kick you red, black and blue
I got your kids on cocaine
I'm Crackhead Jones
I raped her and killed her
And buried her bones.

I found your baby lying in the trash can
Pro-Life, Pro-Choice
I am the American!

I'm a Vietnam veteran
Born on the Fourth of July
I was a teenage soldier
when my friends and brothers died
I'm freedom of speech,I'm burning the flag
I'm the mayor of the capital
and the drugs are in the bag
I'm a celebrated superstar selling beer in a can
Uncle Sam Says Just say no with a bottle in his hand
I am American!

© 1989 ROD SONG ASCAP


No comments: